Why does your website need to be mobile-friendly?
2020 August 12
Google’s latest research shows that 70 percent of all websites on the Internet are currently following their Mobile First Indexing Guidelines that were set in place around 2016. What about the other 30 percent? Or the brand new website that launched without realizing this? Well, it affects a multitude of different factors for your website from ranking to its overall design.
It is estimated that since the early 2000’s, around 96 percent of Americans now own a smartphone. This shows a steady increase from 2017 when around 77 percent of Americans owned a smartphone.
It is safe to say the flip-phone days are over.
At one point in time, there was a percentage difference between age groups that owned a smartphone, but with the latest research, it is pretty neck in neck with the statistics. It comes at no surprise when we say that 99 percent of 18 to 29-year-olds own a smartphone, and 99 percent of 30 to 49-year-olds also own one. Even Baby- Boomers are at a 91 to 95 percent for owning a smartphone!
With the growth of smartphone ownership and accessibility to the internet, users have the ability to search the Internet at any time of the day, from nearly any location.
Due to this ease of access, having a mobile friendly website is essential to your business. Here is why our website designer Omaha experts suggest all websites switch over to mobile-friendly sooner than later.
What is considered a mobile-friendly web design?
Keeping it simple, a mobile-friendly web design means every element of your website (text, images, videos, links, etc.) is easily accessible across mobile device platforms. Not only accessible, but it is fitting for a much smaller screen than a desktop computer. Ever been on a website that you have to zoom in and out to see the navigation or text? That means the website is not mobile-friendly. A mobile-friendly website design is one that automatically fits the screen the user is searching on.
What’s the difference between a desktop and smartphone mobile friendly website design?
There are three main points when it comes to your website on a desktop versus on a smartphone.
- Smartphones have less space than a desktop computer.
- Smartphones create shorter attention spans for users.
- Mobile users are generally seeking out specific information when searching online as opposed to broader internet surfing on a desktop.
Knowing these three points lets us know as development experts why mobile design must be simple and to the point. Our website design Omaha experts suggest three common factors that all websites should avoid to be one step further to mobile-friendly.
- Unreadable text or hard to see photos without zooming or scrolling.
- Poorly spaced tap-targets (areas on a website a user interacts with to carry out a command).
- Media is unable to play.
Is my website really mobile-friendly?
Google features a great service to let you know whether your web page is mobile-friendly! By utilizing the Mobile-Friendly Test, Google analyzes your site to give you a verdict. Chances are if you are unsure if your site is mobile-friendly or not, it probably isn’t.
What happens if my site isn’t mobile-friendly?
Google announced in February of 2015 that it would begin favoring mobile-friendly websites in search engine results. Over the course of two and a half years, this made a significant impact on search results. This affects a website’s overall visibility in Google, reputation, authority and overall SEO strategy. The thing is, a website that is not mobile-friendly can be optimized and optimized, but if it isn’t hitting that factor, it might not give it the boost that it needs.
Unfortunately, there is no middle ground for Google. Either your website is mobile-friendly or it is not. The good news is, once your website is updated for mobile, it can start to slowly help in search engines!
What do I do next?
If you’ve discovered that you are unsure if you have a mobile-friendly website, send our team here of website design Omaha experts at Omaha Media Group a message.
Our team of full-stack developers and designers are able to provide the best solutions for your website and company in the most cost-effective way. By developing a mobile-friendly site, Google will thank you, and so will your customers.
Those who are part of the 30 percent
It is time to update your website!Contact us for a Zoom meeting today!