Why Minimalism Works For UI Design
2017 December 15
Imagine a room so full of stuff that you can’t even move in it, imagine trying to find something in there. Not only would that be impractical but also a fair bit unpleasant. Now imagine a room you need to use, but is completely empty, that doesn’t work either. Pretty much like the porridge Goldilocks ate, we would like a room that is “just right”. The same runs true when it comes to websites or apps. No one likes a screen that is too cluttered nor do they want something that is so sparse that you can’t find what you need, what the user wants in balance.
Neat, clean, and de-cluttered sites have a greater visual appeal than sites that are too busy or overloaded with color. It is the designer’s job to ensure that a site or app looks good but also is fully functional and here’s where minimalism plays an important role. By weeding out everything that is unnecessary and leaving behind only the basics the app or website becomes vastly more attractive to the user.
The Advantages Of Minimalism In UI Design
- Sites that are easy on the eye encourage people to explore them further.
- A clean UI design makes a site easier to navigate.
- Using a basic or monochromatic color scheme removes any distractions to the user.
- Fewer images allow sites to load faster.
- GIFs and animations can be very distracting and by eliminating these the site becomes more informative.
Tips For A Minimalist Design
- When deciding on the design for the site or app and if opting for minimalism there are a few points to keep in mind:
- Limit your colors; use a monochrome scheme or very few colors if necessary.
- Leave plenty of white or negative space; opt out of using decorative elements and let the unused space just be.
- Make use of flat design; the use of two-dimensional images with simpler details than a photograph works well in minimalism.
- Choose your image carefully; if going with a more detailed image make sure that it is not too heavy on the colors conveys the message of the site accurately and fits well with the minimalism theme.
- Bold type; use your space well and incorporate large text which is easy to read and delivers the message quickly.
- Layout; pick a layout that does not clump large amounts of text together, using a grid system to organize the site or strategically placing an image to break up the text will help.
- Contrasting; if something is required to stand out it can be contrasted with the background. Blurring the surrounding area, emboldening and color contrasting are useful tricks for contrasting.
Minimalism in UI design takes keeping it simple to a new level. The concept works because it is easy on the eyes and encourages people to continue browsing a site. Faster loading sites, easier navigation, and gaining maximum information from a site with minimum effort are all reasons why minimalism works for UI design.
Let us create a simple and minimalistic website for you!
We want to hear from you, so what are you waiting for? Contact us today.Get In Touch